Friday 4 April 2014

World Cup Fun Facts.

So for me it seems the world cup fever caught me quite early. The event is more than 60 days away and I am already blogging about. Lets say I am motivated due to the fact that I will attend it for the first time in my life as a missionary. Yes Christians watch football too and enjoy the world cup. It has been so exciting till I have had to postpone my German exam to June.


Group tables from Bleacher
What is this thing called the FIFA World Cup? It is the biggest football competition on Earth. Every four years, 32 national teams take part in the World Cup finals. This year the following teams will be taking part and are grouped to compete as follows:


Oh, how I wish one day Kenya participates. Or maybe I am part of the players who should be pushing the team to do it. Checking my age now and the next World Cup, I have the chance to play in two tournaments before I retire i.e. the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Pirlo




It will take a lot of hard work but I am ready to do my part in whatever role I will be playing ,most probably as an Attacking Midfielder/Holding Midfielder too bad Pirlo will have retired. I look up to him and would love to play against him.



Current World Cup design and Original design 






The ultimate prize is usually the FIFA World Cup Trophy made of pure gold. The first one was called the Jules Rimet Cup. There is an interesting story about how it was stolen you could read more about it on the following links:



  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/20/newsid_2861000/2861545.stm
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_the_Jules_Rimet_Trophy

There have been 19 World Cup tournaments and 8 teams have won the World Cup

BRAZIL
5
ITALY
4
GERMANY
3
ARGENTINA
2
URUGUAY
2
ENGLAND
1
FRANCE
1
SPAIN
1


“To hold the World Cup in my hands is one of the most incredible moments in my life.” Brazilian striker Ronaldo . I would definitely say the same thing too the World Cup trophy is huge I would be among the greats s. Very few players can boast of this I think less than 500.

From my little research there is only one player who has won as a team captain (1974) and later, as a coach (1990). That man is Franz Beckenbauer of Germany. I should read more about him.... Infact the next post will be about him I need to compare myself with him and see what made him to be such a great player. Here is a funny clip of him talking about aliens and how they are about to challenge us to a football match. 



The most fans that ever crammed into one stadium was 199,854 during the 1950 World Cup Final match between Brazil and Uruguay. The match was played in the Maracana Stadium in Brazil. I wonder how guys could even see the pitch. I hope there was no stampede or anything of the sort. 


That is enough for today I will write more another time. I just can't help but think what would happen if I played in the world cup and represented my country. The emotions, the preparation, the expectations all that combined to form pressure. But one thing about we footballers is that we thrive on pressure that is when we know how good we are. When everyone is watching you, you’re playing a better team and miraculously you beat them either by luck or skill. 

One way I handle the pressure is by remembering some verses Philippians 4:6-7 tells me: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

You could get more interesting stuff on the links down below:
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_records
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup


Enjoy your day and make sure you #DreamBigPlayHard .

No comments:

Post a Comment